Last year I conducted the first-ever Peace-along. What’s a Peace-along? For each person that purchased my pattern, “Knit Your Peace”, I sent them a thank-you gift full of peace. For 21 days in December, culminating on solstice, I sent a daily tip as a Ravelry update on how to infuse more peace into that specific day. Examples included a quote, poem, perhaps a link to a meaningful piece of music, instructions on how to create “peace” gift-tags, the list goes on and on. The feedback was overwhelmingly positive.
“It’s like receiving a personalized gift each day.”
“I’ll be so sad when this ends.”
“Thank you for helping me take just a few minutes each day during this busy, hectic, stressful, crazy time of the year.”
Following the 2015 Peace-along in conversation with a friend over a cup of coffee, I jokingly said “just think…if I could get hundreds, maybe 1000’s of knitters around the world to participate in Peace-along 2016, we could create world peace.” I know it sounds a bit silly but I firmly believe that peace begins with each one of us.
And we need peace…with turmoil, and acts of violence, hatred and anger occurring daily in our country and throughout the world it’s time to take action. Often I think "but I’m just one person" but maybe, just maybe with Project Peace we can spread ideas on how to choose peace. Perhaps then, we can slowly make some changes. We’ll never overcome evil but we must find ways to cope with it.
I’m launching Project Peace 2016 and for this to work, I NEED YOU! I’ve designed a new cowl pattern for this year’s peace-along that takes approximately 450-550 yards of fingering weight yarn and approximately 21 days to knit. The pattern will be FREE through 12/21. Each day, December 1-21, a peaceful tip created by guests in addition to my ideas will be posted right here on my blog.
You can read more about this on Ravelry under Project Peace.
I launched this via Instagram and on Ravelry about 6 pm on 11/9. Project Peace is well underway...it's NUMBER ONE on What's Hot Now and there are over 2000 downloads. How many knitters can we gather to work on one project focused on peace in December.
Here's how you join in:
- Download the cover page of the pattern on Ravelry
- This is only the cover page; the pattern will come to you as an update on 11/28.
- Read the information about the project requirements
- Please click on "fav" on Ravelry, begin a project page for the cowl, and join the Healthy Knitter group.
- Beginning December 1, read the blog daily for 21 days to receive the tip of the day on how to infuse more peace into your life.
Will you help me promote this?
Here are some ideas on how you could spread the word:
- Spotlight Project Peace on a blog post
- Post on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter or other forms of social media
- Include in your electronic or print newsletter
- Provide a give-away to those that help spread the word
- Tell all your knitting friends, clients, customers, readers, family.
Please join me in this endeavor to bring our global knitting community together with a focus on peace. All of this is free...it's my gift to you because I'm going to root for the underdog and strive for peace.
May every stitch and step be filled with peace...